Wincanton is a leading provider of supply chain solutions in the UK and Ireland. With over 15,500 employees, 200+ sites and operating responsibilities for over 3,500 commercial vehicles, we work with blue chip customers across a diverse range of sectors including construction, defence, FMCG and retail. Due to the unique nature of our customer base, geographic coverage, and scale of operations, we deliver road transport and haulage solutions with added value services that demonstrate a new collaborative way of thinking and help to reduce the impact of our operations on the environment.
Wincanton and the Centre for Sustainable Road Freight
Building on its existing relationship with Cambridge University, Wincanton has been an active member of the Centre for Sustainable Road Freight since its launch in 2013. With a commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, the opportunity to influence the research agenda on key subjects for the industry – such as reducing fuel consumption and meeting sustainability targets – is a large part of the appeal for Wincanton.
Dave Rowlands, Wincanton’s technical services director, and past Chairman of the Centre for Sustainable Road Freight, comments:
“Social responsibility is high up the agenda for Wincanton, and our customers. We are constantly seeking ways to improve our environmental performance across every area of our business, from training our drivers to minimising fuel use to reducing the proportion of waste going to landfill. The SRF provides the opportunity for Wincanton to lead the way in our sector, implementing innovative solutions to issues such as carbon reduction and unnecessary freight miles.”
Benefits of Membership
The main benefits to Wincanton of participating in the SRF are:
- The research is steered by the industry partners, so it directly addresses their needs and is in line with industry priorities
- The centre serves as a ‘community of competence’ where the expertise of the members can be shared to the benefit of all
- The centre takes a multi-disciplined approach to research topics including: logistics, vehicle design, human factors and sustainability
- The centre research provides insight to operational and technical issues from new perspectives
- Membership provides the opportunity to be at the leading edge of developments in sustainable road freight transport