- Demonstrated a new lightweight deck which allows for increased payload for weight limited operation.
- Identified which operations could benefit from lightweighting.
- Double deck trailers in grocery haulage and ‘walking-floor’ trailers in bulk haulage are two operations that can benefit significantly from lightweighting.
- A weight saving of 1,000 – 2,000 kg can be achieved on a 13.6 m single deck box trailer through a combination of lightweighting measures:
Component Weight Saving (kg) Optimised chassis beams 200 – 900 Lightweight sandwich sidewalls 300 – 500 Lightweight sandwich deck 100 – 200 Glass fibre running gear 250 Carbon fibre wheels 150 TOTAL 1,000 – 2,000
- Galos, J. (2014). Design of a Lightweight Road Freight Semi-Trailer. European Transport Conference. Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 29 September
- Galos, J., et al. (2014), ‘Reducing the Energy Consumption of Heavy Goods Vehicles through the Application of Lightweight Trailers: Fleet Case Studies.’ sub to Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.
- Galos, J., et al. (2014). Design of a Lightweight Heavy Goods Vehicle Trailer. Proceedings of European Transport Conference